Whether you’ve got a few bare or dead patches on your lawn, or you want to reseed your entire yard, there are good and bad times to plant grass seed. If you choose the right time and carefully follow lawn care protocol, your grass will be growing in thick and beautiful in no time.
Timing is Everything
The optimal time to plant grass seed is in the late summer or early fall when temperatures are milder than they are in mid-summer. There are several reasons why this time of year gives grass seed the best chance at germination:
- By the end of summer and into early fall, weed growth slows down leaving grass seed with less competition for water and nutrients.
- Planting in August or September affords the grass two cool season in which to grow (fall and spring) before withstanding the stress of scorching summer heat.
- Spring soil is often too wet for optimal seedbed preparation and grass growth.
Plan your reseeding for late August or September, and you’ll be giving grass the best chance at successful growth.
Preparation and Care
In addition to reseeding during the right season, there are a few other ways that you can get the best out of your grass seed before and after planting.
- Prior to reseeding, loosen any dead grass or weeds and expose the soil so that new seed can be imbedded without being impeded by old, tangled grass or roots.
- Water the seeded area carefully and consistently. Too much water can wash seeds away, and not enough water will kill the sprouts. The best strategy is to keep the soil moist at all times. This means you must take into consideration weather and precipitation and check the soil daily. The top inch of soil should always be moist, but not soggy. This may mean that you water the soil 2-3 times a day for 5-15 minutes, depending on the weather.
- Keep the soil moist until the entire seeded area is filled with densely growing grass. Until this time, do not let the soil dry out. All sprouts will not appear at the same time, so be patient and keep watering consistently.
A lush, green lawn takes time, effort and perseverance. If the grass in your yard is looking thin, dead, or non-existent, let The Treesdale Landscaping Company take on the task of reseeding and refreshing it. We’re the premier landscaping contractor in Western Pennsylvania, and our experienced crew will assess the yard, select the appropriate grass seed, prepare the area for seeding, and spread the seed. We’re not happy until your lawn is growing the thick, healthy grass that everyone wants. Give Treesdale a call today at 724-625-2976, and let our lawn care professionals get your grass back on track!